Ian’s general interests are in improving the profitability of ruminant production. He is Managing Director of Scibus, a company that conducts research and consults to dairy and beef producers, within and outside of Australia and an adjunct Professor at the University of Sydney.
- Reviewer (for more than 20 years) and then on the Editorial committee of the Journal of Dairy Science
- Been an invited speaker at American Dairy Science meetings (or satellite) on four occasions since 1997
- Awarded the Gilruth Prize, the Australian Veterinary professions highest honour (One only awarded per year).
- in 2010 awarded the Australian Dairy Science Award (One only awarded per year).
- American Feed Industry Award 2018 (One only awarded per year).
- Awarded DVSc from the University of Sydney in 2012 for excellence of published works. This is the equivalent of Doctor of Science and is the highest academic award in Australia and the UK.
- an Adjunct Professor at the University of Sydney (since 2000).
- a past president of the Australian Association of Cattle Veterinarians
- a past president of the Cattle Chapter of the Australian College of Veterinary Scientists.
- He has been on faculty at Universities of California and the University of Sydney.
- Ian completed his PhD in 1990 at University of California in Davis with majors in Nutrition and Epidemiology.
- Numerous boards and industry bodies
- Numerous industry committees for conferences
- Over 20 graduate students who have gone on to leadership in the dairy industry in particular
- Leadership in meta-analytical methods in dairy and veterinary science (including invited reviews and talks for American Dairy Science
- Leadership in advocacy for the dairy industry in antibiotic resistance and production methods.
- Substantial extension efforts including numerous publications that are the cornerstone of advice on transition feeding and acidosis in Australia and elsewhere eg Veterinary Clinics of North America, numerous Dairy Australia publications
- Significant contributions to knowledge in transition cow nutrition, nutrition and reproduction and ruminal acidosis/ dysfunction.